This week we were assigned a reading by Buchmann, Delpitt, and Chapter 4 of Ayers. Both Delpit and Ayers matched well with the discussion of race and culture we are having in Allison’s class, while Buchmann defines the role of teaching.
One common theme I seeing running through the discussion of race and culture between our two classes is the importance of a child’s identity. Their identity can be defined by a combination of their race, culture, family, age, abilities, interests, and experiences; School is a place where identity is further shaped by their peers, experiences, parents, and educators. Implicit in these readings is a message for teachers to set aside assumptions and stereotypes, see the identity of each child, and assess how to teach the individual. As one fellow cohort member pointed out last night, it is a daunting yet necessary task. Limited time to cover curriculum along with thirty students does not leave much elbow room to individualize your teaching. It is daunting because each child matters, their learning matters, and you want to devote the time so each child feels that.
These readings ask teachers to be very self-aware of their own culture, its influence on children from different backgrounds, and one’s assumptions about whether a child’s behavior is a reflection of culture. It’s a multifaceted topic that I have had trouble unpacking. I find myself instead asking: “How can I best teach to each individual?” Ayers, and previous readings, discuss the importance of parent communication, “Me” projects to learn about the children, and teaching about other cultures through various holidays throughout the year. Inspired from a conversation with the Improving Access text, my group discussed the value of teaching other languages. To give English speakers a perspective about the challenges bilingual learners face, provide math instruction in Spanish to everyone. I feel this exercise would not only provide empathy for the challenge of learning academics in your non-native language, but also an opportunity for English speakers to learn Spanish. Personally, I have a passion for Deaf culture and American Sign Language. When I volunteered, the children learned fingerspelling and basic sign language, and naturally began to share it around with other classes. At the school assembly, Helen’s was the only class to “clap” like Deaf people. As the children learned the basics of the language and adapted it to their own identities and “culture”, I simultaneously was able to teach them about Deaf culture and Deaf identity. One of “my” students told me she was able to communicate with her Deaf neighbor for the first time. It was exciting to have that impact on the students and the community.
Ayers previously asked college students to write down three cultural groups they identify with and what stereotypes exist for each (95). This is perhaps advanced for an elementary school child. At the same time, it was a good exercise to expand my thinking. I discussed the idea of racism with both Allison Hintz and a friend: “How do I teach children about racism, or approach the topic if a racist comment is made?” Allison was very helpful in laying out specific and appropriate ways to talk about it: “I would begin by asking questions using a sincere and serious tone about the child's comment. Such as, "help me understand why you say you're glad your skin is lighter than _____'s?" "What do you mean when you say that?" I agree it’s important to understand the intent of the comment before making assumptions yourself that the child is being racist. My friend suggested doing an activity to demonstrate racism by dividing the class into “blue-eyed” and “brown-eyed” kids and giving special privileges to one group. For example the “brown-eyed” kids get to line-up first, or get five extra minutes of recess. At the end of the day, there can be a group discussion about how each group felt and the larger picture of racial discrimination.
To address my own question above: “How can I best teach to each individual”, I feel it is important to not only understand their identity but, with that, their academic abilities. One of the benefits of volunteering was the one-on-one time I earned from each student. One-on-one, students and I worked on math, reading, writing, and more. Working together we learned about one another, but more importantly set goals in their learning. If Helen assembled the class once again for a larger group lesson, I knew which children may need additional help for a particular lesson because I was better aware of their abilities. Delpitt’s chapter: I just want to be myself similar discusses the benefits of individualized attention. “I have taken Anthony out into the hallway several times to talk and play privately so as to get a better idea of his actual abilities” (37). Her example also highlights the harm of ethnic stereotyping, especially when she describes Anthony’s virtues to his teacher and receives only criticism. The teacher unfortunately is blinded by her assumptions about his race, so much that she cannot see the child beyond.
I asked the cohort this week for our open conversation about what passions they hope to bring to their classrooms. After reflecting in my journal however, I can easily see how a classroom can academically reflect both my own interests as well as those of my students. Perhaps a “unit” (i.e. Science- ‘Magnets’) could include a current events wall or scrapbook of how students interact with the topic in their own lives. Parents can also supplement lessons with individual experience. In this way, personalizing the lessons to the identity of the individual which are shared with the class, more learning can take place.
No comments:
Post a Comment