Saturday, October 8, 2011

Literacy and Telling Time


10/8/2011

Hi Blogging Circle!

I’m excited for a new quarter, and a new school placement.  I was sad to see my third graders go so soon, but my dyad teacher has made me feel right at home.  Although I have only been in my new placement two days, I can already anticipate the immense growth I will make in teaching literacy in the next seven weeks.  Northshore uses Benchmark literacy, versus Journeys curriculum in Bellevue.  Both are foreign to me, and it’s interesting to compare the similarities and differences. 

I have worked one on one with several kids listening for fluency, asking questions for comprehension, and reading aloud to them a little.  I working with my first ELL student and really enjoyed his attitude and energy! I have no experience teaching phonics but my placement teacher gave me good feedback on how I sounded out words to him. 

I was not here in September when my dyad teacher assessed her student’s reading levels, however I’ve been working with each of them individually.  The real world experience has really been invaluable to me.  Knowing what questions to ask to illicit comprehension of vocabulary and storyline has given me some great tricks to keep in my back pocket.

I anticipate I’ll have several areas of growth in both placement, and continue to blog about what I learn.  I am getting lots of ideas for classroom set up.  For example, the photo below is a time telling strategy one of the Northshore teachers has in her room.  I have copies if anyone would like the original print to make your own!  

1 comment:

  1. Telling time can be a hurdle for some students. As a volunteer a year ago I watched (and tried to help) a third grade teacher teach this to some students who should have learned it in second grade. The biggest problem was determining the hour when the little hand is getting close to the next hour. In your picture, is it 8:32 or 9:32? It gets more difficult when the big hand gets closer to 12.

    ReplyDelete