On the 26th of January I taught a science lesson on making comparisons of measurements with my class of third graders. I spent a lot of time preparing for the lesson with my master teacher, and it ended up being the best lesson i've taught. I planned for the kids to continue our investigation from the previous day on arm span, compare class data, make frequency tables, and draw conclusions about the investigation's original question. I was integrating Math Expressions, and the FOSS kit. In addition to the objectives of the lesson, my goal was to pace my time well and utilize my master teacher during the lesson. My field instructor felt I met both my goals. I appreciated her feedback that I use a "firm but kind voice" with my students when asking for their attention. This is something I strive for, and I have been using the past week as well. Yesterday, I was so impressed with their attention and response, I awarded the class ten "free time" minutes.
I appreciated my field instructor's feedback on assessment, and knowing how each student learned the material. Lessons go by quickly, and walking by each table group doesn't give you the whole picture. I collected group work, asked questions during the whole group lesson and collected conclusions. One suggestion she gave another student teacher was to write notes on index cards as you walk around which note your observations of student thinking. I'd like to try this!
No comments:
Post a Comment