At the end of our quarter, we spent time interviewing students about how they saw themselves as mathematicians. Initially the two children I asked told me that in order to be good at math, you must be quick and get the right answer. Honestly, their answers didn't surprise me. I probably would have answered the same way in elementary or even high school. We discussed earlier this quarter that students do not view themselves as being "good" at math unless they are fast, but I had never asked a student directly.
During the interview I explained to them that I had a list of different ways of being smart at math. Each person has their own strengths, and something they are working on. Being smart doesn't always mean you get the right answer, but how you use your smarts to try to solve a problem or work with others. Both of my students were shy. I got them to talk more and help me find examples for each point on the list. At the end the girl wrote four or five things at the bottom she wanted to improve. The boy didn't want to change anything. I asked if he could think of a smart that wasn't on the list. When he said no, we discussed strategies he used to solving a division problem his teacher left on the board. I asked him if using multiple strategies to solve a problem would be a math smart? Both students agreed.
Ultimately, my students were quiet but I think we had a great conversation about math. Even if this discussion doesn't change their mind, it opens them up to the possibilities of other ways to be smart. Math was difficult for me, so I can understand how it may be difficult to view "math smarts" in other ways.
It was a great end to our time at Woodmoor! I cannot believe there is only one more week.
No comments:
Post a Comment