I think this week has been a turning point in teacher preparation. Although our assignments are still, more or less, removed from the classroom we are working in, I am acquiring more experience in flushing out objectives, lesson plans, and assessments. Today alone I worked all day to complete the math lesson plan, my read aloud lesson plan, and the follow up literacy lesson plan for my kindergarten buddy. The repetitive work developing lesson plans through all three assignments has given me a bigger picture of teaching. I've discussed with my dyad teacher that sticking to a lesson plan can only benefit the learning of your students. You will be more focused and so will they.
I am excited to present my read aloud lesson on "Julius the Baby of the World" by Kevin Henkes, next week. I've done read alouds before at my main placement, but without purpose. This time I am tying my objectives on character development into the Benchmark Literacy lessons my teacher has already established. My teacher showed me a selection of books, and honestly it was an easy choice. Henkes is a great author, and this book is special to me. I hope the kids enjoy it!
Website for Kevin Henkes Image

I agree, by having to justify the lesson with a clear objective and continuous assessments, it keeps me on track with what I'm actually trying to teach. I can see how easy it would get to plan activities with no real learning objective, so while I hope that I won't always have to write the lesson out, I can see the value in it.
ReplyDelete