Friday, October 14, 2011

New Experiences Every Week


10/14/2011



New experiences every week



This week I enjoyed working individually with students on literacy skills, in particular.  The two girls I worked with were so excited; they literally were jumping out of their chair.  I was handed a non-fiction book titled The Sun, and taught them using a lesson plan produced specifically for the book.  I have no prior experience using a script.  It was odd asking them questions from a paper, and soon adapted them to the questions they were asking me.

The students first looked through the book at the pictures and made predictions about what the text would talk about.  I then showed them the title, the authors, and the table of contents.  We discussed each one, and then I asked them to take turns reading aloud.  They were both very excited to read aloud.  The objective was to practice reading fluency and comprehension.  We soon started to examine “abstract” ideas from the book such as: the tilt of the earth, whether the sun moves in a circle, the importance of the sun, the water cycle, plants, and seasons.  One girl knew about the water cycle and attempted to explain it to the other.  I encouraged her to teach her peer; however, when it didn’t work I grabbed a white board and drew pictures.  Science and astronomy are exciting to me, it was a wonderful feeling explaining such a complicated process as the water cycle to a seven year old.  As we read, I also tried to ask comprehension questions from previous pages which connected each of the mini-chapters. 



I’ve been volunteering in elementary schools since 2008.  Teaching one-on-one in depth was new for me, I was happy for the responsibility.  The following day we reviewed what we learned and reread the book.  Both students begged me to read another book with them.  I was very excited by their enthusiasm!  I find working one on one with students is warming them up to me as a teacher; after all I’ve only been there four days!



Another couple of new experiences I had this week involved one student cheating, and another challenging me.  When the student challenged me during class, I was following up on a direction the teacher made during student presentations.  Ultimately in the end I stood my ground and explained the appropriate way to speak to teachers in the future.  I spoke with the teacher afterwards who claimed I was right to stand my ground, otherwise he would be challenging me the rest of the seven weeks I am there.  The student had had a bad day, the following day was back to normal between us.

The student who cheated was a new experience as well.  I honestly had not expected to see it as this grade level and he was mortified to be caught.  The teacher met with him, and told him why he should not cheat.  He claims he won’t try it again, so the teacher stated she would not involve parents this time.  It comes down to knowing your kids.  Everyone needs a second chance!



Below is the behavior chart used in the classroom.  Clothespins with the children’s name on it move up and down throughout the day depending on behavior.  It should be vertical, I don't know what is wrong.


3 comments:

  1. I have had little experience working with kids on reading or writing. So my dyad cooperating teacher invited me to do a word sort lesson this week. My dyad partner is doing a math lesson. Look out learners, here we come!

    I have seen a few students copying from others' papers and each time I reacted by simply asking the student to do his/her own work. Another student kept working on the timed math test after the pencils down instruction. I put my finger on the paper and explained that if you take extra time the teacher won't know what level to make your next test.

    I haven't been challenged yet but one second grade boy in my main placement decided to ignore my directions in a group of about 15 doing math in the commons area. I sat down on a chair right next to him and explained that I can't be a teacher and he can't be a learner if we don't cooperate. He agreed and everything was fine after that. I had to issue "oops" slips to go home to parents (after my cooperating teacher said I needed to do it) to two 3rd grade girls who repeatedly disregarded my requests for them to stop talking. I think they both gained a little respect for me in the experience. One of them gave me a big hug the day I said goodbye at the end of September experience. She is one of my focus students.
    I think mutual respect, common sense, patience, and experience will help me succeed in directing my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a full day! I think a script would be hard to follow when you have the unpredictability of children involved. Hopefully the script was more like an answer key then a list of interactions to have at every step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week two middle school girls read to me, and I really enjoyed it. Evaluating comprehension with a good story is a great way to interact and get to know each other, and I hope I get to do it more often. It sounds like you handled the student who challenged you well. One of the boys was rude to me and I was really surprised and wasn't sure what to do. Good for you for nipping it early.

    ReplyDelete