Photography, in many ways, can be connected to teaching. There are numerous techniques and skills to employ which are either technical or artistic depending on the photographer. Color, black and white, macro, zoom, shadow, texture, angle and blurriness are some of the methods to convey themes of life, death, emotion, metaphor, and nature. Various photo blogs are available which document the techniques of photographers much like the blogs of teachers we have viewed in class. I feel like the internet provides a wealth of knowledge about both teaching and photography practices alike, and possible outcomes of employing their respective methods.
Additionally the better you know your camera, or your students, the better the outcome of the picture, or their learning. I love to document the world around me, but I never know how the photo will turn out until later. Reviewing my photos shows me how I can change my technique to get the result I want. When I look through the eye piece to “frame” my photo, I focus my camera lens and hold very still. I have to be patient and sometimes take several shots, or alter my angle, to get the image I want. My future students hold the same potential as the subject of my photo. My ability to adapt my teaching skills to the group and the individual reflects the same patience and determination needed for photography. If some students are struggling to understand a concept, I’ll need to be flexible in adapting my teaching style to get the result I want. Photos are to photographers, as student’s learning is to teachers.
When I took a photography art class as part of my bachelor’s, I was encouraged to expand my thinking and technical ability in order to produce a more artistic style of photos. Whereas previously I used the settings on my SLR to experiment with images of nature, my instructor wanted me to replicate styles, methods and thoughts of all types of artists. The image above is from my Van Gogh series. Van Gogh was not a photographer, so translating his art to another medium was a challenge. Technically the project required me to use large studio lights, external flashes, a tripod, and a remote to achieve the right shadows. I also was not allowed to use color in photographs, so I had to find ways to make sunflowers come alive in other ways. Throughout the quarter my photos continually progressed. I became more comfortable and creative with the idea of “art as photography” and appreciated the challenge.
The evolution of my work is related to the work I am doing in the teaching certification. For me, the “ultimate goal” would be to learn effective ways of teaching all subjects in the elementary school classroom. For example math was difficult for me, how can I make it easier for my students to understand? I have volunteered many hours, but truly the journey has just begun. By meeting other teachers in the field and understanding what challenges await me, I hope to leave this program fully prepared to run a classroom. The challenge of adapting my photography into art seemed impossible at the time and I achieved it. Teaching does not seem impossible, and yet I am similarly facing generations of great ideas to learn, process, and adapt to my own teaching style.

No comments:
Post a Comment