I am from the cul-de-sac, where Stanley the chocolate lab reigned.
From the Elementary school up the street.
Bikes rolled up and down the hill, and fireworks gathered the neighbors.
I am from friends and hot pavement and summer
From scraped knees and bee stings
This week in class we read our “Where I’m From” poems out loud. As I mentioned in class, although usually the details were different, the words from other’s poems often evoked strong memories of my own. This could easily be incorporated into the classroom with children, and maybe even adapted to a different theme. Children love an opportunity to “show and tell”, even if they choose to display it on the wall rather than read it aloud. It would be a great exercise to build a community and learn more about my students.
As the quarter draws to a close, I have had a ton of work to do. Our poems however inspired me to set it aside this week and visit the second and fourth grade classrooms I volunteered in earlier this year. All of the kids have grown, and had so much to tell me! It was exciting for me to work with them on math, and ask teachers questions about standardized testing (MSP) and Bin Laden. I was curious whether the topic came up in schools, because I was unsure myself how I would address it. Neither class asked their teacher questions however, nor as far as I know did the principal send out any guidelines. After reflecting on the 9/11 attacks ten years ago, one teacher told me not all parents wanted their children exposed to the images and information. Despite what I would tell my own (future) children, if such an event were to occur, it is obvious as a teacher I need to remain neutral- or at least tread lightly.
The “new WASL” (MSL) is now taken on the computer. Additionally the teachers were sent a netbook in order to find creative ways of incorporating it into her lessons. Next year students may each have one at their desk. I really appreciated getting the “live” update of topics we have been discussing in class. It was refreshing to see where I’m headed as well. I cannot wait until I get back into the classroom again!
I too was wondering how teachers were handling the Bin Laden discussion, of if it even comes up. I would hope that parents would lead the discussion of this topic at home since it's such a big news story. I think it's important to tread lightly on issues like that as well. I'm curious how schools will handle the 10 year anniversary of 9/11 this next September. I would assume you'd have to mention it and address it, but it could be a touchy subject- so I'd be curious to know how teachers are planning on dealing with that.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be difficult as a parent to decide how to address 9/11, and perhaps more difficult as teachers. Our students may or may have not even been born in 2001 and were not educated by their parents (which I found in the school I visited).
ReplyDeleteMy own mother was protective of my 9 year old sister at the time, and didn't want her exposed to the images of the towers. Her teacher, the woman I know volunteer with, was very respectful of my mom's wishes. Even though in the future I may raise my own children differently, I realize the importance of both respect parents and history. The frustration is finding the line, and what is age appropriate. How can I explain the significance of the event to our nations history without making parents uncomfortable? I think understanding all perspectives is extremely important here.