Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Health 423 - 6/22 reflection

The most important thing I learned in class today was about concept mapping.  My small table group mapped out health in areas of sex education, anatomy, respect, trust, mental health, and safety.  The advantange of concept mapping was seeing how our differing defintions of health intersected visually on paper.  I also had not anticipated the immense challenge of visually representing the relationships between our catagories and sub catagories.  Instead of being flat and linear, the concept map ideally would be 3D and circular in my mind.  I can see how laying out concept maps can make one aware of their own assumptions about a topic, especially such a broad one as health.  This tool also serves as a unique way to discover how students think about the topic.  I appreciated the graph of photographs you showed as well.  This allowed me to think more creatively of different ways of creating concept maps for my future students.
Questions I still have:
How can I adapt this to other school subjects?
Do concept maps have to be organized in boxes and lines?
How does this look for different grade levels?

No comments:

Post a Comment