Friday, June 24, 2011

Health 423- 6/23 Health Reflection

I left immediately after class for the grocery store assignment, so I completely forgot to blog after class. I am writing now, the following morning. Sorry about that Carrie!
Today in class we learned several important lessons that will be imperative to my success as a teacher. The guidelines for lesson planning were extremely helpful for me to finally understand the workings of my future career. Basically you have shown me how to structure lessons so that they meet state requirements and can be reproduced by myself or others. I'm ready to dive in with both feet and learn how to best navigate Ealr's and GLE's.
Additionally learning about EPI pens was very relevant.  I appreciate feeling prepared to assist my students in the event of an emergency.

The class's connection to the study of health allows me to focus my attention on one subject rather than all of them at once.  For Microteaching we divided into groups.  My group chose “Bullying” and we soon recognized the challenge of isolating each possible element of the Ealr’s relevant to our planning.  We were also pleasantly surprised to see that elements of communication and bullying were included as part of the health standards for Kindergarten.  It is good to know the states takes bullying as seriously as I do.

Questions I still have:
Where should I start when planning a lesson?  Do I begin with EALR/GLE requirements or conceptualize the idea and see how it fits in with state standards?

Do most beginning teachers craft lessons from scratch?

No comments:

Post a Comment