Thursday, June 30, 2011

Health 423- 6/29 Health Reflection

The most important thing I learned in class today was how learning is assessed across grade levels.  I am new to EALRs and I had no idea that a concept such as "drug awareness/drug abuse" would be located on the same EARL for each grade level and advanced as the age progressed.  This is a helpful way for me to organize the vast amount of information within the state regulations about teaching Health to numerous grade levels.  I simiarly see the value in using "jigsaw" groups so that each student is accountable for their share of information.  This was very helpful to me.
We also had enough time to introduce the assessment 5E learning/teaching model.  I'll be presenting my microteaching lesson soon and I appreciate how our lessons direct my lesson planning.  For example, the first "E" is engage where the teacher not only introduces the topic but uses the introduction as a preassessment.  Our class also discussed a KWL chart. (Know, Want to Know, What I Learned). We are learning a lot of great techniques and ideas about teaching health both in class and from microteaching assessment.  The challenge right now is remembering all the details to apply to the microteaching lesson as well as future lessons.

Questions I still have:
Are EALRs organized in this way in other subjects?
Can we spend more time on the 5 E's?
What other type of table "mix-up" options do I have besides the jigsaw?

No comments:

Post a Comment