Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Health 423- 7/5 Health Reflection

Dweck's reading: Mindset inspired me to think about the ways in which I view the world from both a fixed and growth mindset.  The difference between the two was clearly illustrated for me with "their" separate reactions to a bad day.  The fixed mindset will be judgemental of itself and the growth mindset will look to make changes in the future.  The benefit of discussing this topic is understanding one's general disposition in the classroom and the effect you are having on children.  The other day, for example, I missed a turn while driving and I said: "I'm so stupid".  A growth mindset would say: "Oops, I missed my turn, I'll go around the block".  However as my group discussed, people are not fixed within the confines of these two categories.  This morning we were learning to knit in our first class.  I nearly said: "I give up, this is too hard".  Instead I was persistant, I gave myself positive messages, and eventually I had a breakthrough in understanding. 
The reading additionally discussed a teacher's ways of addressing children through both mindsets.  Acknowledging their finished product or intelligence (fixed) versus complimenting their hard work and progress (growth minded).  At first this appeared as though growth minded did not value the final product, or set standards low.  I was pleasantly surprised to read: "[Growth-minded parents] set high standards, but they teach their children how to reach them.  They say no, but it's a fair, thoughtful, and respectful no" (188).  I want to work on my own fixed mindset and fixed relationship with school work in order to encourage my students to appreciate the process of learning without the pressure of being the "best" or first.
Health today also introduced the Mr. Yuk box.  I'll admit that even our group of adults had some issue distinguishing candy from medication.  It was interesting to think about our own experience with numbers and symbols which allowed us to reach the conclusions we did.  I had not realized, not yet having children myself, that cold medication was made to look like sweet tarts. 

Questions I still have:
At what age do children begin to understand the difference between medication and candy?

No comments:

Post a Comment