Today in class my mircoteaching group presented a lesson plan for kindergarten on bullying. I think our teaching went well overall and I will appreciate the chance this weekend to look over feedback and reflect on our process. Virgil's presentation afterwards was wonderful. I learned the creative ways in which you can combine subjects to illustrate a point in a new way. Virgil was attempting to refine his lesson plan on sexual health and puberty by connecting it to plant reproduction rather than reading about sexual health off a paper. I can see the creativity and the challenge of condensing the lesson while connecting the subjects.
Virgil's presentation also reminded me of a means of getting students comfortable talking about sex and sex education. The word bag was a great idea. I have seen it before I believe, I think it's a great way to get the class into the right mindset: "This is a safe place to talk about an uncomfortable topic"
On this note, it was also beneficial to discuss today the appropriate way to define periods, sex, homosexuality, wet dreams, tampons, STDs, ect... Sticking to the facts, especially over controversial issues, is important. Children always repeat what they hear both at school and home. Although students of concerned parents are likely to be pulled from class anyway if sex is discussed, speaking in a manner implying preference or opinion on issues of abortion with any child is not appropriate. Thank you for driving this point home.
Questions I still have:
How as a teacher do I react to students laughing at questions from the question box because they are uncomfortable?
No comments:
Post a Comment